Problems after upgrading to 2.3.2.1

Joel Dahl joel at vnode.se
Thu Nov 22 22:28:20 EET 2018

Hi,

I've just upgraded dovecot from 2.2.35 to 2.3.2.1 on my mail server
and noticed something odd. My mail clients (mutt and Apple mail) both stopped
seeing new mail in my mailboxes.

For example, ~/Maildir/mailinglist1/new has 5 new mails. In mutt, vieweing the
list of mailboxes mutt reports 0 new mail for "mailinglist1". Opening up the
actual mailbox in mutt reveals the 5 new mails. Going back to the list of
mailboxes, mutt now correctly reports 5 unread mails. Waiting a few hours, and
about 10 new mails have arrived, but mutt still says 5 unread.

This is the same for every mailbox. As a test I deleted the index files for a
specific mailbox and restarted dovecot. But it didn't help. I use procmail to
deliver my mail into the Maildir folders, if that matters.

Any ideas?  I haven't changed my dovecot configuration in a long time, except
for adding ssl_dh after the upgrade. My config is below:

auth_mechanisms = plain login
imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep tb-lsub-flags
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_privileged_group = mail
maildir_very_dirty_syncs = yes