immediate delete of mails

tselmeci at 486.hu tselmeci at 486.hu
Tue Oct 9 10:54:49 EEST 2018

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:31:36 +0200
Gerald Galster <list+dovecot at gcore.biz> wrote:

> most imap clients don't delete mails immediately, instead they are marked as deleted and expunged a few days or weeks later.
>
> From Sylpheed docs / Interface tab: https://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/doc/manual/en/sylpheed-8.html
>
> 	• If Execute immediately when moving or deleting messages is not selected, a new button appears in the button bar marked Execute. When deleting or moving messages, they are first marked as deleted or moved but Sylpheed does not move or delete them until you press the Execute button (or the Execute entry of the Tools menu).

This setting is enabled in my Slypheed and mails don't disappear. Even if I switch this off and try to manually execute the expunge operation, the mails still remain.

> You could check if the filename of a deleted email has changed in your maildir.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, Dovecot is using mbox files on my machine.

> This is old and may have been fixed:

I don't think it's relevant, since with the very same Sylpheed an older Dovecot (1.x) could erase the unneeded mails. Perhaps some file permission issue on my server...?

Regards,
--
Selmeci Tamás
http://www.486.hu/