Struggling to get dovecot working with postfix auth

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Thu Oct 11 15:29:56 EEST 2018

> On 11 October 2018 at 15:02 Laura Smith <n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp at protonmail.ch> wrote:
>

> > That's a permission error. Somewhere in your directory hierarchy things
> > are off. See Postfix' set-permissions command.
> >

> But surely if Dovecot is staring as root then directory permissions are relevant, especially if I'm then asking the config to chmod the file anway ?
>
> To me, it seems dovecot is not behaving correctly, because if it is not using root to access the directory then it is not going to be able to chmod the socket later is it ?

You should probably check few things:

1. check dmesg or /var/log/audit/audit.log for any possible security framework problems
2. check namei -vl /var/spool/postfix-authrelay/private/dovecot-auth for anything strange
3. there is *some* reason the socket is not bound into, dovecot creates these sockets as root.

Aki