dovecot passdb driver=checkpassword as external script for block ip

Sami Ketola sami.ketola at dovecot.fi
Thu Oct 18 13:31:01 EEST 2018

> On 17 Oct 2018, at 20.09, bes <bes.internal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Refer to
> https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2015-March/099971.html
> https://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase
> I tried to repeat the same thing.
> Set these passdb:
>
> passdb {
>  args = /myscript.sh ip=%r
>  driver = checkpassword
>  result_failure = return-fail
>  result_success = continue
> }
> passdb {
>  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext ( my working auth method )
>  driver = sql
> }
>
> Created executable /myscript.sh:
> #!/bin/sh
> exit 1

While I'm not sure why this does not work I'm was wondering if a deny-passdb would be more
efficient to implement this blacklisting as executing a script on each login attempt is awfully slow.

Instead I would do something like this:

  # check deny passwd for ip address first
  passdb {
    driver = passwd-file
    args = username_format=%r /etc/dovecot/ip-deny-list
    deny = yes
    auth_verbose = no
    result_success = return-fail
  }

and then just create /etc/dovecot/ip-deny-list with one ip address per line.

Sami