macOS Mojave: setgroups(501) failed: Too many extra groups

James Brown jlbrown at bordo.com.au
Wed Oct 24 13:08:34 EEST 2018

On 11 Oct 2018, at 5:28 pm, Heiko W. Rupp <hwr at pilhuhn.de <mailto:hwr at pilhuhn.de>> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently upgraded to macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and am running into an issue where one use can no longer log into dovecot via imap. Log shows
>
> Oct 11 08:10:27 imap(hwr)<12659><YpC/0+133+EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>: Fatal: setgroups(501) failed: Too many extra groups

> Any help appreciated
>   Heiko

This came up on the list a few months ago. See thread with subject "dying on osx” on 11 August and 4 September 2018.

The only way I managed to get it to work was by changing default_login_user and default_internal_user to my username.

As you say, wasn’t an issue with earlier versions of macOS X.

Any solution would be most appreciated.

James.