Copying from a previous Dovecot server

Peter Lindgren peter at norrskenkonsult.com
Tue Oct 30 23:49:07 EET 2018

Hello!
I have installed a new dovecot server on a new server, using imap and
Maildir.
The old Maildirs are accessible on a mounted disk.
I have tried to copy a few folders manually, by first creating the
folder on the new server through the a-mail client, and then copying the
contents of the cur folder from the old to the new. Works fine, but is a
manual process. I'm looking for a way to script this.

Is it safe to copy a template folder to a new folder, and then copy the
cur folder contents? The files that Dovecot creates in an empty folder
have different contents, will Dovecot update them when the user
retrieves the mails in that folder?

Or, can I just make a symlink to the old Maildir somewhere?

Peter
--
Peter Lindgren
peter at norrskenkonsult.com