Best way to move mail from one server to another

Michael Slusarz michael.slusarz at open-xchange.com
Tue Sep 4 19:26:19 EEST 2018

Sami is correct.  imapsync loses data.

Source -> imapsync -> destination : the mailboxes are different to an IMAP client
Source -> dsync -> destination (running Dovecot w/doveadm): the mailboxes are the same

You may not care that your users w/100,000 message mailboxes that have been cached on their client now have to invalidate that entire cache (and most likely re-download all of those messages).

So there is zero argument that, due to IMAP metadata loss, this is something that doesn't happen if dsync (or rsync) is used.

michael