LMTP tcp listener with auth?

Andreas Thienemann andreas at thienemann.net
Wed Sep 12 14:41:01 EEST 2018

Hi Stephan,

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018, Stephan Bosch wrote:

> LMTP currently does not support AUTH.

Bummer. Thought so.

> What is your use case? Most people hide LMTP behind a firewall, or don't
> expose it through TCP/IP in the first place.

The port is currently only available to a few trusted machines, but having
auth available would have been a nice benefit in case the firewall gets
misconfigured.
Cyrus for example will expose the LMTP port via TCP if configured, but
expects valid user credentials.

The larger use-case is a migration from cyrus to dovecot. As it's not just
the MDA but also the MTA installation that is being migrated I need a way
to deliver mail from the old MTA to the new MDA. LMTP comes in handy.
https://github.com/ixs/lmtp_proxy/blob/master/README.md#minmal-downtime-migration-of-users
has a rough invocation of the steps needed for that.

As I said, LMTP auth isn't critical for this, but would have been a nice
addition.

cheers,
  Andreas