Proxy secured incoming POP3/IMAP4 to unsecure backend?

Alexander Chekalin alexander.chekalin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 13:59:50 EEST 2018

Hi,

I try to set up dovecot as a proxy server, to proxy requests to several
dovecot-based backend servers. I wand external clients who connects to this
proxy Dovecot to use TLS (this is easy to set up) while want to have
unsecured (plain IMAP/POP) connections to backends.

You see, links to backends are over LAN so no TLS needed, and these
backends are poor old machines (with old Docecots like 2.0.6) this is why I
don't want to use TLS to acces backends.

But as I did the test setup I can see proxy Dovecot uses TLS to connect to
backends. Is there any way I can specify this aspect of Dovecot proxy?

Please advice!

Yours,
  Alexander