Dovecot submission announces CHUNKING but backend Postfix does not support it

Michael Goth mg at webflow.de
Fri Sep 28 11:46:54 EEST 2018

On 09/20/2018 10:24 PM, Stephan Bosch wrote:

> Op 20/09/2018 om 13:39 schreef Michael Goth:

>>> that "may" version depend
>>>
>>> http://www.postfix.org/features.html
>>> Postfix 3.4     SMTP server support for RFC 3030 CHUNKING (without
>>> BINARYMIME).
>>>

>> As far as I understand, Dovecot always adds certain capabilities. This
>> is the responsible code (I think):
>>
>> https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/c8d03c3cab68328947a5afb47f48aef5b5a1e4ab/src/submission/submission-client.c#L95
>>

> Dovecot adds the capability to the server side (facing the client), but
> not on the proxy client side (facing Postfix). If Postfix doesn't
> support CHUNKING, Dovecot will translate between BDAT from client and
> DATA towards Postfix. That's the way it is supposed to work anyway. I
> cannot reproduce your problem here with a quick test.
>
> Can you enable mail_debug=yes (e.g. for that particular user) and show
> me the debug log of the proxy activity?
>
> The output from `dovecot -n` would also be helpful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan.

I think I found the problem:

I am not using the submission_* config directives to configure the relay
SMTP server.
Instead, I'm using Dovecot's proxy feature for selecting a backend
server based on the user's authentication. The submission_* directives
are all unset.

When using the submission_* directives, Dovecot translates from BDAT to
DATA. With my configuration, it seems to just relay all the commands to
the backend server.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure what dovecot can do in this
case. It doesn't really know the supported capabilities until the user
authenticates themself.

Regards,
   Michael