Solr connection timeout hardwired to 60s

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Thu Apr 4 17:12:33 EEST 2019

On 4/4/2019 2:21 AM, Peter Mogensen via dovecot wrote:
> What's the recommended way to handling timeouts on large mailboxes given
> the hardwired request timeout of 60s in solr-connection.c:
>
>     http_set.request_timeout_msecs = 60*1000;

For a typical Solr index, 60 seconds is an eternity.  Most people aim
for query times of 100 milliseconds or less, and they often achieve that
goal.

If you have an index where queries really are taking longer than 60
seconds, you're most likely going to need to get better hardware for
Solr.  Memory is the resource that usually has the greatest impact on
Solr performance.  Putting the index on SSD can help, but memory will
help more.

Here's a wiki page that I wrote about that topic.  This wiki is going
away next month, but for now you can still access it:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems

There's a section in that wiki page about asking for help on performance
issues.  It describes how to create a particular process listing for a
screenshot.  If you can get that screenshot and share it using a file
sharing site (dropbox is usually a good choice), I may be able to offer
some insight.

Thanks,
Shawn