Problem with filter forwarded messages when using director proxy

Ted ted at easydns.com
Tue Apr 9 17:57:32 EEST 2019

Hey there,

I've been able to switch our mailservers over to using director to proxy
logins and received email to the backend servers which store email on a
shared NFS mount.  Before I did this we were having trouble with the
indexes running into errors because multiple servers accessing and
modifying the dovecot.index files at the same time.  I'm still seeing a
small amount of this, and tracing it through it appears that when an
account uses a filter to forward email to another address within our
mail system, it recognises that it is a local email address it is
responsible for and saves the message locally despite the fact that it
is not the director specified server for the recipient address.

As an example, lets say that test1 at example.com is currently pointed to
the 01 backend server by director, and test2 at example.com to 02. If a
filter at test1 forwards email to test2, then when an email for test1
comes in the director porxy will direct it to the 01 backend server, and
when the message is saved the filter will run to forward it, and the 01
server will recognise that it is also responsible for test2 and so 01
will save the message for test2 rather than 02, as per director.  This
is causing a smallish number of clashes which I'd like to get cleaned up.

I've tried getting the server to send through a relay but if it
recognises the account as local it will not use the relay to send the
email.  Has anyone run into anything like this or have any ideas about
how to approach the problem?

Thank you
Ted
easyDNS Technologies