ssl_cert: Can't open file permission denied

Gerald Galster list+dovecot at gcore.biz
Wed Apr 10 13:40:18 EEST 2019

> Am 10.04.2019 um 11:59 schrieb Laura Smith via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
>

> On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 10:52 AM, Aki Tuomi via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10.4.2019 12.36, Laura Smith via dovecot wrote:
>>
>>> Dovecot 2.3.3 (dcead646b)
>>> openSUSE Leap 15.0
>>> I am getting a weird error message:
>>> Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/local.conf line 16: ssl_cert: Can't open file /etc/foobar/ssl/certbot.pem: Permission denied
>>> I have tried the following:
>>>
>>> -   chmod -R 655 /etc/foobar/ssl (/etc/foobar is 755)
>>> -   create "ssl_users" group add dovecot to it chown -R dovecot:ssl_users /etc/foobar/ssl
>>>
>>> How can I fix this ? There's no obvious solution ?
>>
>> Are you by chance using selinux? If you are, you might need to relabel
>> the files.
>>
>> Aki
>
> This is openSUSE, not Centos, I don't think it even comes with selinux.

Maybe apparmor?

https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/issues/5071 <https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/issues/5071>

 > OpenSuSE and apparmor expect dovecot certs to be in /etc/ssl/private
 > ISPConfig setup script expects SSL certs to be in /etc/postfix but apparmor prevents dovecot from reading them in that directory

Otherwise you could login as dovecot user (temporarily change the shell to bash if needed; usermod -s /bin/bash) and see if you can access the certificate.
Check all directory/file permissions, including acls (man getfacl), along the path.

Best regards
Gerald