Mail account brute force / harassment

James list at xdrv.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 14:25:17 EEST 2019

On 11/04/2019 11:43, Marc Roos via dovecot wrote:

> A. With the fail2ban solution
>    - you 'solve' that the current ip is not able to access you

It is only a solution if there are subsequent attempts from the same
address.  I currently have several thousand addresses blocked due to
dovecot login failures.  My firewall is set to log these so I can see
that few repeat, those that do repeat have intervals of >1 week.
Blocking these has minimal effect (other than to clog fail12ban and the
firewall).

>    - it will continue bothering other servers and admins

Which is why a dnsbl for dovecot is a good idea.  I do not believe the
agents behind these login attempts are only targeting me, hence the
addresses should be shared via a dnsbl.