Solr connection timeout hardwired to 60s

Peter Mogensen apm at one.com
Fri Apr 12 13:09:36 EEST 2019

Looking further at tcpdumps of the Dovecot->Solr traffic and Solr
metrics it doesn't seem like there's anything suspicious apart from the
TCP windows running full and Dovecot backing of ... until it times out
and close the connection.

>From my understanding of how Dovecot operates towards Solr it will flush
~1000 documents towards Solr in /update request until it has traversed
the mailbox (let's say 20.000 mails), doing softCommits after each.

But is it really reasonable for Dovecot to expect that no request will
take more than 60s to process by Solr?
It doesn't seem like my Solr can handle that, although it does process
documents and it does reasonably fast clear pending documents after
Dovecot closes the connection.

On the surface it looks like Dovecot is too impatient.

/Peter