Doveadm stats

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Fri Apr 12 15:48:46 EEST 2019

Are there any examples of the utility of doveadm stats?

in the man page:
> dump accepts following types: command, session, user, domain, ip and
>        global.
>
>        Filter can be
>
>        user=<wildcard>
>               Match given user.

I've tried the following commands after looking at the (sparse and example-less) man page.

# doveadm stats dump
metric_name     field   count   sum     min     max     avg     median  stddev  %95
# doveadm stats dump user
Error: Extraneous arguments found: user
# doveadm stats dump user user="*"
Error: Extraneous arguments found: user user=*
# doveadm stats dump global
Error: Extraneous arguments found: global
# doveadm stats dump global user="*"
Error: Extraneous arguments found: global user=*
#

I assume there is more to the configuration for stats than merely making it not report an error. So, the first question is what sorts of stats would be most likely to be useful and what do I do in the configuration to get those?

Second question is why is this required to be enabled if, by default, it has no functionality?

--
Beware of geeks bearing .GIF's