Solved Re: doveadm: Error: open(/proc/self/io) failed

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Thu Aug 1 01:51:23 EEST 2019

Hi Sami,

Thanks, for taking the time to look at this.

For the archives, the resolution is in line below.

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019, Sami Ketola wrote:

>> On 30 Jul 2019, at 22.53, Tom Diehl via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:

>>> Perhaps see if there are any denials in SELinux audit log:
>>
>> Selinux is in permissive.
>>
>> If I do:
>> (vmail1 pts9) # ll /proc/self/io -r-------- 1 root root 0 Jul 30 15:27 /proc/self/io
>> (vmail1 pts9) #
>>
>> It is obvious to me why I get permission denied. The problem is you
>> cannot chmod on /proc. I suspect I have something mis-configured but
>> the question is what?
>
> service lmtp {
> executable = lmtp -L
> inet_listener lmtp {
>   address = 127.0.0.1
>   port = 24
> }
> process_min_avail = 5
> unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
>   group = postfix
>   mode = 0600
>   user = postfix
> }
> user = vmail
> }
>
> please remove user = vmail from here or change it to root.

Actually the above works OK but you gave me the clue I needed to
find the actual problem. I looked at the log message again and
realized that it says doveadm is having problems.
Something like this:
Jul 22 12:52:04 vmail2 dovecot: doveadm: Error: open(/proc/self/io) failed: Permission denied

So I took your advice and found that I had the following in my dsync
config:
service doveadm {
   inet_listener {
     port = 2525
   }
   user = vmail
}

Removing the user = vmail above fixed the problem.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org