Dovecot not responding to external clients

Edwin Humphries edwinh at netsensecomputers.com.au
Thu Aug 15 04:04:37 EEST 2019

Hi all,

THanks Alexander - you made me check somethiing that should not have
changed, but clearly had: the port forwarding rules on the router. Fixed
and now working - sorry. :-[
On 15/8/19 9:52 am, Alexander Dalloz via dovecot wrote:
> Am 15.08.2019 um 00:34 schrieb Edwin Humphries via dovecot:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have Dovecot on my Linux-Mint workstation, running IMAP for the
>> Thunderbird client thereon, but previously also for my phone and
>> laptop clients as well. Since upgrading to Linux-Mint 19, however,
>> although the Thunderbird client on the workstation works just fine,
>> the other clients can't connect. I've disabled the firewall, and nmap
>> shows the ports open, so it seems like some setting in the server.
>> Can anyone help?
>
> lsof -i :143
> lsof -i :993
>
> What does your mail logging report when the clients try to connect?
> Anything that blocks connections from outside the dovecot host itself?
>
>>> Dovecot version is 2.2.33.2 (d6601f4ec)
>>>
>>> dovecot -n output:
>>>
>>> # 2.2.33.2 (d6601f4ec): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>>> # Pigeonhole version 0.4.21 (92477967)
>>> # OS: Linux 4.15.0-55-generic x86_64 Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
>>> mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>>> mail_privileged_group = mail
>>> namespace inbox {
>>>   inbox = yes
>>>   location =
>>>   mailbox Drafts {
>>>     special_use = \Drafts
>>>   }
>>>   mailbox Junk {
>>>     special_use = \Junk
>>>   }
>>>   mailbox Sent {
>>>     special_use = \Sent
>>>   }
>>>   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
>>>     special_use = \Sent
>>>   }
>>>   mailbox Trash {
>>>     special_use = \Trash
>>>   }
>>>   prefix =
>>> }
>>> passdb {
>>>   driver = pam
>>> }
>>> protocols = " imap"
>>> ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
>>> ssl_client_ca_dir = /etc/ssl/certs

--

Regards,
Edwin Humphries

NetSense Computers logo

NetSense Computers (Ironstone Technology Pty Ltd)
79 Barney St, Kiama, NSW, 2533
Web: http://www.netsensecomputers.com.au

--
This email is intended for the named addressee/s only and may contain
confidential or privileged information. If you are not a named addressee

/"At every moment he beholdeth a wondrous world, a new creation, and
goeth from astonishment to astonishment, and is lost in awe at the works
of the Lord of Oneness./" Baha'u'llah, The Seven Valleys
/"... humans are interesting. With all the wonders there are in the
Universe, they invented boredom./" Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
/"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is
the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a
stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as
good as dead: his eyes are closed./" Albert Einstein
/"Stuff your eyes with wonder ... live as if you'd drop dead in ten
seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid
for in factories./" Ray Bradbury