CVE-2019-11500: Critical vulnerability in Dovecot and Pigeonhole

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Sat Aug 31 05:30:12 EEST 2019

Daniel,

thanks so much for the detailed pointers.

So it turns out to be both the evil that is systemd and an overzealous
upgrade script.

Apollon, should I raise a Debian bug for this?

As for reasons, how do 50k proxy session on the proxy servers and 25k imap
processes on the mailbox servers sound?

Even on a server with just 6k users and 7k imap processes that causes a
massive load spike and a far longer service interruption (about 50
seconds) than I'm happy with.

Penultimately if people do set "shutdown_clients = no" they hopefully know
what they are doing and do expect that to work.

Regards,

Christian

chibi at gol.com   	Rakuten Mobile Inc.