[2.3.8] possible replication issue

Piper Andreas piper at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Thu Dec 5 08:34:50 EET 2019

Hello,

upgrading to 2.3.9 unfortunately does *not* solve this issue:

I upgraded one of my replicators from 2.3.7.2 to 2.3.9 and after some
seconds replication stopped. The other replicator remained with 2.3.7.2.
After downgrading to 2.3.7.2 replication is again working fine.

I did not try to upgrade both replicators up to now, as this is a live
production system. Is there a chance, that upgrading both replicators
will solve the problem?

The machines are running Ubuntu 18.04

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Andreas

Am 18.10.19 um 13:52 schrieb Carsten Rosenberg via dovecot:
> Hi,
>
> some of our customers have discovered a replication issue after
> upgraded from 2.3.7.2 to 2.3.8.
>
> Running 2.3.8 several replication connections are hanging until defined
> timeout. So after some seconds there are $replication_max_conns hanging
> connections.
> Other replications are running fast and successful.
>
> Also running a doveadm sync tcp:... is working fine for all users.
>
> I can't see exactly, but I haven't seen mailboxes timeouting again and
> again. So I would assume it's not related to the mailbox.
>
>  From the logs:
>
> server1:
> Oct 16 08:29:25 server1 dovecot[5715]:
> dsync-local(username1 at domain.com)<FXnVDW22pl0tGAAA1cwDxA>: Error:
> dsync(172.16.0.1): I/O has stalled, no activity for 600 seconds (version
> not received)
> Oct 16 08:29:25 server1 dovecot[5715]:
> dsync-local(username1 at domain.com)<FXnVDW22pl0tGAAA1cwDxA>: Error:
> Timeout during state=master_recv_handshake
>
> server2:
>
> Oct 16 08:29:25 server2 dovecot[8113]: doveadm: Error: read(server1)
> failed: EOF (last sent=handshake, last recv=handshake)
>
> There aren't any additional logs regarding the replication.
>
> I have tried increasing vsz_limit or reducing replication_max_conns.
> Nothing changed.
>
> --
>
> Both customers have 10k+ users. Currently I couldn't reproduce this on
> smaller test systems.
>
> Both installation were downgraded to 2.3.7.2 to fix the issue for now
>
> --
>
> I've attached a tcpdump showing the client showing the client stops
> sending any data after the mailbox_guid table headers.
>

> Any idea what could be wrong here or the debug this issue?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Carsten Rosenberg

Dr. Andreas Piper, Hochschulrechenzentrum der Philipps-Univ. Marburg
           Hans-Meerwein-Straße 6, 35032 Marburg, Germany
Phone: +49 6421 28-23521  Fax: -26994  E-Mail: piper at HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE