director option

soumitri at iitk.ac.in soumitri at iitk.ac.in
Sat Dec 7 01:13:14 EET 2019

Hi,

I think option-2 below seems better or am I missing something with
director concept.

1. As director and back-end in same server (broken) not recommended, I
need minimum 4 servers (2 for director, 2 back-end IMAP). Indexes and
mail must be in NFS shared storage(not optimal), as a user may land on
any of the back-end servers (assuming no static mapping of user from
pass DB).

2) Proxy_may in passDB (static mapping of users to servers makes
balancing little partial but can be admin optimized) can achieve the
above setup with 2 servers without director. Here indexes can be on
their local disk (efficient)  and mail on shared storage (NFS).

Both case I can use RR DNS to get users IMAP traffic to front end. Any
guidance on this is appreciated.

--
Sincerely,
Soumitri Mishra