Lightweight LMTP daemon to avoid overkill MTA

William Edwards wedwards at cyberfusion.nl
Wed Dec 11 19:51:27 EET 2019

Hi,

My situation is as follows.

-An internet-facing spam filter relays email to destination mail server (Dovecot) with SMTP.
- Dovecot should take email and deliver it to user's mailboxes. I guess I'd need LMTP for this.
- An external SMTP relay is already in place. I am thinking of using Dovecot submission to relay to the external relaying cluster.
So, both relaying and routing are done externally - the Dovecot machine should only store mail. Of course, there should also be a mechanism that takes care of local delivery to Dovecot, like LMTP. Usually, I would use an MTA like Exim to take care of local delivery. I feel like a fully-featured MTA is overkill, though, as all other roles such an MTA would fulfill - relaying and spam filtering - are fulfilled on external servers.

Q: Does anyone know of a lightweight LMTP daemon that can take care of local delivery to Dovecot without the need for a full MTA?

With kind regards,

William Edwards
T. 040 - 711 44 96
E. wedwards at cyberfusion.nl