Maintaining table quota2

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Feb 14 01:22:27 EET 2019

On 2/13/19 1:51 AM, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>>> https://wiki.dovecot.org/Quota/Count
>>> https://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/QuotaClone
>>>
>>> and the recommendation is under
>>>
>>> https://wiki.dovecot.org/Quota
>>
>> I have been spending effort today reading up on this and searching on
>> a couple questions.
>>
>> For my additions to 20-imap.conf I have:
>>
>> imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail
>> protocol imap {
>>     mail_plugins = quota imap_quota trash
>> }
>>
>> I see that the mail_plugin quota is moved to 10-mail.conf.  No biggie
>> there.  But what about trash?
>>
>> And I tried to find documentation on imap_client_workarounds and all
>> I have found is in:
>>
>> https://wiki.dovecot.org/QuickConfiguration#Client_Workarounds
>>
>> "Check imap_client_workarounds and pop3_client_workarounds and see if
>> you want to enable more of them than the defaults. ?
>>
>> With no link about where to learn more.
>>
>> Where does quota count go?  Just dovecot.conf or one of the numbered
>> conf addtions?
>>
>> https://wiki.dovecot.org/Quota/Count
>>
>> Also is there a way to compute the count for all users?  I am
>> migrating the maildir and rebuilding the sql database.  I see:
>>
>> doveadm mailbox status -u user at domain vsize '*'
>>
>> But do I do that for each user in each domain or is that '*' there to
>> run it on all users?
>>
>> I think this will get me started.
>>

> You probably should configure quota plugin globally, if you want
> LMTP/LDA deliveries to update quota.

hmm.  This is a bit of an eye-opening statement.

My current practice is not to modify all of the various conf.d files,
but rather to have a local.conf that has sections for each one that I
want to customize.  Basically keeping what is provided then having
custom overrides in one place like:

#    20-pop3.conf
pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
protocol pop3 {
     mail_plugins = quota
}

I think what I should be learning here is to start my local.conf with:

mail_plugins = quota

then 15-lda section says:

#    15-lda.conf
postmaster_address = postmaster at htt-consult.com
protocol lda {
     mail_plugins = $mail_plugins sieve
}
lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes
lda_mailbox_autosubscribe = yes

Am I 'getting it'?

Also 20-lmtp only has:

#    20-lmtp.conf
lmtp_save_to_detail_mailbox = yes
protocol lmtp {
     mail_plugins = sieve
}

Again, it seems from your comment that should be:

     mail_plugins = $mail_plugins sieve

Finally, I am putting all my additions in local.conf.  This is included
via the LAST line in dovecot.conf.  It seems that there should be a

!include_try global.conf

at the beginning of dovecot.conf, or some such name.  Perhaps
local_global.conf

> The quota count can be recalculated with doveadm quota recalc

I will dig into this doveadm function.

thanks