index problems after update

Hajo Locke Hajo.Locke at gmx.de
Tue Feb 19 09:58:35 EET 2019

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

Am 15.02.2019 um 17:34 schrieb Michael Slusarz via dovecot:
>> On February 15, 2019 at 3:35 AM Hajo Locke via dovecot
>> <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your reply, so iam not the only one. I think downgrading
>> is not an option for me. Ubuntu 18.04 comes with openssl 1.1.0 and it
>> seems that older versions like 2.2.22 not compile successful.
>> Best way for me would be a patch from Ubuntu-side, but without any
>> errormessage or something its wasted time to file a bugreport.
>> Though Ubuntu 18.04 should run for next 5 years.
> https://repo.dovecot.org/
>
> michael
Without statement of dovecot developers i dont like upgrading. I want to
explain:  One should think that latest versions in 2.2 tree are almost
bugfree and stable.  But this one is ugly. dovecot crashes its index
without noticing by itself and hiding new mails. To be particular
dovecot is not usable in a classic mbox setup with this versions.
Obviously this problem is unknown to developers, else i expected a short
answer. So it is still thinkable that this problem still exists in 2.3
versions. At this point it's frustrating and disappointing that this
case is ignored by developers.  My first mail was 11 days ago.
Not every user is an early adopter with 2.3 versions/mdbox etc. the
bigger the company the slower upgrades are deployed. We have several
hundreds of affected servers with 2.2.33.2, we have several thousands
servers with older versions without this problem, which should get
updated next weeks/months.
For upgrading i need a version where this problem is fixed (we can
package by ourselfes if needed). we dont need newest features, just a
stable classic imapd. we cant use our customers as dummies and test
different versions to see if a bug is fixed or may be other issues appear.
I hope there is an understanding for our situation.

Thanks,
Hajo