Issue with LMTP proxying and port number

Steven Craig steven at aiso.net
Tue Jan 1 00:59:46 EET 2019

Hello there,

Everything was working fine on Dovecot 2.2.10 (on CentOS 7), but after
updating to version 2.2.36, our director servers are not able to proxy LMTP.

We are sending mail from exim to the local Dovecot LMTP socket, which
then used to send it to our internal mail servers on port 24.

Besides the update, nothing has changed in the config files.  The
configuration has been working great for months … Then we had a great
idea of doing holiday maintenance.

(Currently, we are working around this issue by having exim send mail to
the IP and port, instead of the socket.)

Doing a tcpdump capture shows no TCP traffic either.  The logs seem to
say that it is trying to go to port 0, so my guess is that it’s not
getting the port directive from either static or sql — since the docs
state that if these settings aren't specified, it will always use the
same connection type for the proxy that it received the connection on.

Any thoughts?  I can share config if necessary.