Searching small(ish) sites on ubuntu

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 15:57:42 EET 2019

I run a small dovecot site with ~5 users, some of whom have many large
mailboxes. I used to use lucene until the packagers decided that it
broke some licencing rules and stopped including it. I have dismally
failed to configure Solr, plus it is huge and potentially exposes too
many services as well. Squash is deprecated (but still used?) in 2.2+. I
am currently on 2.2.33.

So what can I use? Or do I have to bite the bullet and install from
source, thus losing the advantages of packaging and automatic updates?

Dirk