Unexpected accounts showing up in replication status (doveadm replicator status '*')

Daniel Schütze daniel at cwa.uk.com
Mon Jan 21 12:03:42 EET 2019

Just an update that I think I know what has been going on.

I believe I've been tripped up by two things.

1) Not always clearly reading the actual component being referred to
when "userid", "user" and "username" are used in official online
documentation or other web sources.

2) Setting up dovecot to accept delivery / auth on %n and dropping the
domain.

For #1 it is descriptions such as the following from the online
documentation which tripped me up

%u

user

full username (e.g. user at domain)

%n

username

user part in user at domain, same as %u if there's no domain

i.e. %n referring both to "username" and "user" where for
testing at example.com %n is testing and %u is testing at example.com

Another one which could be clearer is the dovecot-sql.conf.ext file
gives a example database with username and domain fields and the same
file has an example password_query with the userid field.

For #2 failure to get to grips with #1 and also various examples online
which aren't fully context explained meant I had an inconsistent set of
queries.

After getting to grips with that I changed my mysql auth to be
consistent and always return username and domain e.g.

[Note in my database username contains "testing" and domain "example.com")

password_query = SELECT username, domain [etc]

user_query = [does not return username or domain]

iterate_query = SELECT username,domain FROM users

i.e. note they all now return two separate fields with "testing" and
"example.com" which dovecot is merging as per the documentation.

With that set up both

dovadm user '*'

and

doveadm -A [etc]

return and use testing at example.com

The last problem I had was that in my mail delivery (from an alias file)
I was using

testing: "dovecot-lda -d testing"

And that seems to trigger replication to trigger on testing as well as
testing at example.com being triggered when the user made changes to their
account.

So having changed the mysql as per above and the delivery to

testing: "dovecot-lda -d testing at example.com"

and having removed all entries without @domain from replication with

doveadm replicator remove [entries without domains]

doveadm repliciator status

now returns the correct number of accounts and

doveadm repliciator status '*'

does not have "duplicate" entries.

Fingers crossed that is it and there are no other call which will cause
replication on "testing" as separate from "testing at example.com"