Rsync to backup dbox with SIS

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Sat Jan 26 04:58:55 EET 2019

On 1/25/2019 1:33 PM, ash-dovecot at comtek.co.uk wrote:

> We will be deploying a replacement Dovecot server soon, and we are
> planning to use maildir for the primary storage, but with an archive
> namespace using mdbox (or perhaps sdbox), and SIS.
>
> Our backup servers and (luke)warm spare server need to obtain full
> copies of the mail store. For the maildirs I know I can simply use
> rsync (we already use it here).
>
> I'm a little wary of using rsync with mdbox and SIS though.

Significantly limited knowledge opinions below:

Probably not the answer you want - but I would strongly suggest using
Dovecot replication.  Dovecot replication Just Works - so don't reinvent
the wheel when Timo provided such a polished tool already.  And based on
my previous SIS experience - while dbox is nice I would suggest avoiding
SIS until there are reports of more development.  Sdbox will be solid -
which is what you want for an archive - though maildir would be the
safest.  Archives don't need to be rapid-access - they need to be
dependable.  SIS is wonderful for space saving - but until there's more
safety checks built-in I'd suggest avoiding it for production backups.
Drives are cheap - lost data, lost time, lost hair, lost sanity...is not.

> I'm aware of "doveadm backup", and (although it currently throws up a
> few errors) it seems like it might be a valid solution for our warm
> spare server. Our backup servers, on the other hand, aren't supposed
> to be visible to the production machines, with the exception of the
> backup machine sshing in to do an rsync each night. We can't install
> dovecot on them.

The backups don't have to be "visible" to other machines - don't even
have to be running IMAP/POP services (I think).  And the replication
command is run - via ssh (see https://wiki.dovecot.org/Replication) - so
what's the problem?

--

Daniel