Solr - complete setup (update)

Joan Moreau jom at grosjo.net
Sat Jan 26 21:07:51 EET 2019

> *- Installation:*
>
> -> Create a clean install using the default, (at least in the Archlinux package), and do a "sudo -u solr solr create -c dovecot ". The config files are then in /opt/solr/server/solr/dovecot/conf and datafiles in /opt/solr/server/solr/dovecot/data

On my system (Debian) these directories are wildly different (e.g. data
is under /var), but other than that, this information is OK.

Used this as a side-reference for Debian installation:
https://tecadmin.net/install-apache-solr-on-debian/

Accessed http://solr-host.tld:8983/solr/ to check whether all is OK.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A DOVECOT INSTANCE (NOT THE DEFAULT INSTANCE) , WITH
THE FUNCTION BELOW:

SOLR CREATE -C DOVECOT (OR WHATEVER NAME)

> Weirdly, rescan returns immediately here. When I perform `doveadm index INBOX` for my test user, I do see a lot of fts and HTTP activity.

THE SOLR PLUGIN IS NOT CODED ENTIRELY, REFRESH AND RESCAN FUNCTIONS ARE
MISSING :

https://github.com/dovecot/core/blob/master/src/plugins/fts-solr/fts-backend-solr.c

static int fts_backend_solr_refresh(struct fts_backend *backend
ATTR_UNUSED)
{
return 0;
}

static int fts_backend_solr_rescan(struct fts_backend *backend)
{
/* FIXME: proper rescan needed. for now we'll just reset the
last-uids */
return fts_backend_reset_last_uids(backend);
}

> *- Bugs so far*
>
> -> Line 620 of fts_solr dovecot plugin : the size oof header is improperly calculated ("huge header" warning for a simple email, which kilss the index of that considered email, so basically MOST emails as the calculation is wrong)

YOU CAN CHECK THAT REGULARLY IN DOVECOT LOG FILE. MY GUESS IS THE MIX OF
UNICODE WHICH IS NOT PROPERLY ADDRESSED HERE.

> -> The UID returned by SOlr is to be considered as a STRING (and that is maybe the source of problem of the "out of bound" errors in fts_solr dovecot, as "long" is not enough)

THIS IS JUST HIGHLY VISIBLE IN SOLR SCHEMA.XML. SWITHCING IT TO "LONG"
IN SCHEMA.XML RETURNS PLENTY OF ERRORS.

> -> Java errors : A lot of non sense for me, I am not expert in Java. But, with increased memory, it seems not crashing, even if complaining quite a lot in the logs
>
> Can you elaborate on the errors you have seen so far? When do these happen? How can I reproduce them?

HONESTLY, I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE PROBLEMS ARE. I JUST INCREASED THE
MEMORY OF THE JVM AND THE SYSTEMS STOPPED CRASHING. LOG FILES ARE HUGE
ANYWAY.