download Dovecot emails over rsync (done!), possible alternatives

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Sun Jan 27 12:19:27 EET 2019

Hi,

Actually for the injecting the downloaded email into the ship's system:

On Jan/27/2019, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> executing it using ssh and getting the output). Then it was creating a
> new IMAP folder named "Downloaded" in the ship's server (it was just
> creating the folder in the file system and adding it in the
> subscriptions file, all using file system operations from Python). Then
> using rsync it was downloading the email file from the internet's server
> to the ship's server temporary file (taking whatever it would take, with
> many retries, etc.) and then moving it to the Downloaded folder.

I could use Python+IMAP to create the folder in the ship's server,
subscribe and then perhaps using lmtp protocol inject the new email
(maybe with Python+lmtpd as well)

This way on the ship's server I wouldn't need to change Dovecot
directories.

On the internet server perhaps I could have a IMAP client that would
extract the email using IMAP and leaving it into a file: this way I
would avoid touching Dovecot's file system and assuming the structure of
dovecot-uidlist and how the files are saved.

That would be nicer than the last time...

Any other ideas: I'm happy to listen.

Also, if anyone wants to talk about this next week in FOSDEM I'll be
there. I see that past years there was someone from this mailing list
(Timo Sirainen)
(https://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-January/133190.html)

Cheers,

--