Rsync to backup dbox with SIS (Daniel Miller)

ash-dovecot at comtek.co.uk ash-dovecot at comtek.co.uk
Mon Jan 28 20:03:02 EET 2019

> Probably not the answer you want - but I would strongly suggest using
> Dovecot replication.? Dovecot replication Just Works - so don't reinvent
> the wheel when Timo provided such a polished tool already.?
Okay, thanks, I'll look at replication for the warm spare. Although we
do use shared folders, which your link below says don't work properly.
> And based on
> my previous SIS experience - while dbox is nice I would suggest avoiding
> SIS until there are reports of more development.? Sdbox will be solid -
> which is what you want for an archive - though maildir would be the
> safest.? Archives don't need to be rapid-access - they need to be
> dependable.? SIS is wonderful for space saving - but until there's more
> safety checks built-in I'd suggest avoiding it for production backups.?
> Drives are cheap - lost data, lost time, lost hair, lost sanity...is not.

Our main motivation for dbox is SIS. We don't have a very high volume of
mail, so maildir speed is unlikely to be an issue. What we do have is a
lot of users who like to mail around large files. Drives are cheap, but
there are advantages to a smaller mailstore. That said, data security wins.

We will probably abandon dbox entirely and continue with maildir, thanks.

> The backups don't have to be "visible" to other machines - don't even
> have to be running IMAP/POP services (I think).? And the replication
> command is run - via ssh (https://wiki.dovecot.org/Replication) - so
> what's the problem?

Well, our backup servers are supposed to be running a minimalist set of
software. If we need to restore from backup after a security issue or
application bug on a production machine, then we are trying to minimise
the chance that the backup machine itself could be affected.

Anyway, if we aren't using SIS, then we needn't use dbox, and therefore
backup machines can continue to run a minimalist OS with only rsync.

Thanks,

Ash

---

To opt-in to receiving communications from us or to update your email preferences please go to https://lists.comtek.co.uk/prefs.