mbox 2 Maildir

Tamas Hegedus tamas at hegelab.org
Tue Jan 29 22:22:14 EET 2019

W/o downtime: see the wiki page below, the "Converting" section.
Briefly for my case something like this should work and generally seems
simple (no syntax checking yet, pseudo-code like):

* Configuration uses mail_location = mbox:~/mails
* setup per-user mail location and do for each user individually in a
serial manner:
-- doveadm sync maildir:~/Maildir; mbox is synced to Maildir, long
running time
-- doveadm sync maildir:~/Maildir; rerun to do it for new messages (fast)
-- add USER to userdb and set extra field to maildir:~/Maildir
users not present in the userdb should default to dovcot default;
conditionally optional: doveadm auth cache flush
-- doveadm kick (to force clients of USER to use the new Maildir)
-- doveadm sync -R mbox:~/mails (rerun to sync the very last few mails,
which arrived during the editing and reloading the userdb config)
* when done for all users, I set maildir:~/Maildir for mail location and
remove the userdb file definition

The problem of postfix/procmail:
* I found this, but I do not prefer edit procmail config this way
http://dmc1961.id.au/howto_17101101.php
* I think that dovecot/lmpt is a better solution:
-- dovecot takes care of the delivery and it will also know where to
deliver during the mixed situation
-- on the long term: told to have better performance compared to
procmail; https://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixDovecotLMTP

Tuzolto utca 37-47             | mailto:tamas at hegelab.org
Budapest, 1094, Hungary        | http://www.hegelab.org