"unknown user - trying the next userdb" Info in log

James Brown jlbrown at bordo.com.au
Wed Jan 30 06:37:07 EET 2019

On 30 Jan 2019, at 10:57 am, Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl <mailto:stephan at rename-it.nl>> wrote:

> Op 30/01/2019 om 00:06 schreef James Brown via dovecot:

>>> That is not an error. As the "Info: " prefix indicates, this is an innocuous informational message.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Stephan.
>>>
>> Thanks Stephan.
>>
>> I know it’s not a major thing, it’s just that it is every third line of my log.
>>
>> Ie I get the auth-worker unknown user, then successful imap-login, then the imap logout.
>>
>> So I’m just trying to figure out what is causing the auth-worker lookup failure so I can fix it. I did not have this in my old mail server, just the new one I’ve setup.
>>
>> Is it a database issue or a Dovecot config issue? If so where?
>
> Ýou can enable auth_verbose and auth_debug to get an idea what Dovecot is doing. You should post your `dovecot -n` to get more help on this issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan.

Will look at auth_debug. It is a lot to go through!

My settings:

$ sudo dovecot -n
Password:
# 2.3.4 (0ecbaf23d): /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Darwin 18.2.0 x86_64  apfs
# Hostname: mail.bordo.com.au <http://mail.bordo.com.au/>
auth_debug = yes
auth_verbose = yes
auth_verbose_passwords = plain
default_internal_user = jlbrown
default_login_user = jlbrown
first_valid_gid = 0
first_valid_uid = 102
last_valid_gid = 501
last_valid_uid = 105
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_gid = 102
mail_location = maildir:/usr/local/virtual/%d/%u
mail_uid = 102
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
    group = _postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = _postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    mode = 0660
    user = _vmail
  }
}
service imap-login {
  process_limit = 512
}
service stats {
  fifo_listener stats-mail {
    mode = 0666
  }
  fifo_listener stats-user {
    mode = 0666
  }
  unix_listener stats-writer {
    mode = 0666
  }
}
ssl_cert = </usr/local/etc/dovecot/mail.bordo.com.au.pem
ssl_dh = # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
userdb {
  driver = passwd