"unknown user - trying the next userdb" Info in log

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 08:31:06 EET 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 9:58 PM James Brown via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org>
wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2019, at 4:35 pm, Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com> wrote:
>

> On 30 January 2019 at 07:12 James Brown < jlbrown at bordo.com.au> wrote:
>

> >> My settings:
> >> userdb {
> >> driver = passwd
> >> }
> >> userdb {
> >> driver = prefetch
> >> }
> >> userdb {
> >> args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
> >> driver = sql
> >> }
>
> Well... there is that usetdb passwd which seems bit extraneous.
> ---
> Aki Tuomi
>

> I'd remove the
>
> userdb {
> driver = passwd
> }
>
> section
> ---
> Aki Tuomi
>

> Thanks Aki - the trick was finding where that setting was! Found it in
> auth-system.conf.ext.
>
> Commented it out and all works perfectly now.
>
> Thanks again Aki,
>
> James.

I'll throw in my 2 cents that it'd be great for a passdb/userdb block to
have a setting to suppress that message. I've actually changed my mind and
*not* used extra userdbs in the past (despite there being good reasons to
use them) entirely due to that log entry. We've got millions of mailboxes
and the noise in the logs would be unreal. And it would cause no end of
confusion for ops people looking at logs. I weighed the likelihood that I'd
end up being asked a million times why a login failed, when in reality it
hadn't, and decided it wasn't worth the headache.

Or alternatively only log that error when *all* of the passdbs/userdbs have
failed. Anything would be better than logging what *looks* like an error
but isn't. And, yes, i see 'info' in the log entry, but 'unknown user' is
far more eye-catching.

This is the part where someone points out that there already *is* a setting
for this and I stop talking :)