Dovecot/MSQL issue

lorek dundir at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 10:48:20 EEST 2019

Actually, it seems I may have been wrong in initial assumption that the
issue with the client was that it was being identified to mysql as coming
from localhost when connecting via tcp.
This is what syslog indicated as a reason for the failure but its not the
whole picture.

As John mentioned I am trying to have dovecot connect over TCP to mysql
(not using the socket), and the issue looked like the cause was the
identified by portion of mysql being read by either mysql incorrectly or
the domain portion being overwritten on dovecot's end (I don't know about
the internals enough to say for sure where).

Just as due dilligence, I added credentials for a mysql user identified by
localhost and removed the jail since the dovecot error was stating that it
failed for connection by user@'localhost' (where there weren't credentials).
After adding the credentials, I performed all the usual mysql tests before
moving testing up to dovecot and still get an auth failure. The log seems
to be a bit of a red herring or at the minimum doesn't show the whole
picture.

Replacing the connection string host with the socket (host=localhost) and
everything works, and using an external IP that's not 127.0.0.1 works as
expected as well. (confirmed by standing up two isolated mysql and dovecot
containers and setting auth up over the bridge).

If the issue was caused by user@'localhost' creating the credentials should
have resolved it, and it didn't. So something weird is going on.
I've got the environment built up in a dockerfile I can provide if anyone
wants to dig into what's causing it.

In the meantime due to time constraints, I'll just be working with the
socket file from now for hosts running most of the mail stack all in one.

Best Regards,
Lorek.