Dovecot 2.3.6 on Solaris10: build issues, segfaults

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 22:47:13 EEST 2019

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019, Aki Tuomi wrote:

>> Hopefully, there is some fix for issue 3 which is beyond my
>> skill to fix.
>>
>> Issue 1) Need recent gcc version
>> Issue 2) Cannot build with --enable-hardening
>> Issue 3) dovecot/doveconf segfaults on startup
>
> Just to be sure ...
>
> You did gmake clean; ./configure <opts>; gmake

I did a bazillion iterations of "make distclean; make; make install",
so it's no problem to do it once more to make sure.

> We'll look at the 3rd issue,

Thank you.

> the 2nd issue looks really odd, verging on compiler bug there.

Googling "-fstack-protector-strong" and "__stack_chk_guard" brings up
this issue often.

> As for 1st, isn't gcc 3 rather old?

Yeah.   I hoped we could retire together, but gcc3 violated the adage
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  It broke, so ...

Thanks again for looking into this.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>