Sieve problem with duplicate and fileinto in the same set of rules

Gianluca Scaglia gscaglia at ksdata.it
Mon Jul 15 15:34:41 EEST 2019

Hi there,

on my mail server (postfix, dovecot 2.2.27 in Debian 9) I have an automatic
forwarding (with sender_bcc_maps in Postfix) for all the emails sent in smtp
from the same server, that are then put in the Sent folder with a sieve
rule.

In this way, however, when a user sends an e-mail to himself, both copies
end up in the Sent folder and it's not good.

To resolve, I tried using the Sieve "duplicate" extension along with
"fileinto" but I can't get it to work.

I then activated also the "editheader" extension to better understand what
the problem was and I get these results.

Sieve rules without using "fileinto:"

require ["duplicate", "editheader"];

if duplicate {

addheader "x-sieve-test1" "duplicate";

}

if allof (header :regex ["from"] [".*info at example\.com"],

header :regex ["x-sieve-test1"] [".*duplicate"]) {

addheader "x-sieve-test2" "confirm duplicate";

stop;

} elsif header :regex ["from"] [".*info at example\.com"] {

addheader "x-sieve-test3" "not duplicate";

stop;

}

and I get these headers in the first mail (in INBOX):

and in the second email (always in INBOX) this other:

Everything works perfectly.

When I add the fileinto statement to the last if as below

require ["duplicate", "editheader"];

if duplicate {

addheader "x-sieve-test1" "duplicate";

}

if allof (header :regex ["from"] [".*info at example\.com"],

header :regex ["x-sieve-test1"] [".*duplicate"]) {

addheader "x-sieve-test2" "confirm duplicate";

stop;

} elsif header :regex ["from"] [".*info at example\.com"] {

addheader "x-sieve-test3" "not duplicate";

fileinto "Sent";

stop;

}

I get a completely incorrect result, both mails in the Sent folder with this
header line:

in practice it no longer detects the duplicate email.

If I use "discard" rather than "fileinto" it works fine and if I put
"fileinto" in the first "if" ("if duplicate") it does't work.

I did hundreds of tests but the "duplicate" extension stops working in the
presence of the fileinto statement (there are exceptions: if I put the
"fileinto" in the second "if" - that is in the middle one instead of the
last one - it works fine, but it's not that that I want).

Any idea how to solve the problem or how to get the same result (one mail in
Sent folder and one in INBOX, when a user sends an e-mail to himself)
without using the "duplicate" extension?

Thanks a lot,

Luca