index worker 2.3.7 undefined symbol errors (more info)

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Mon Jul 22 16:31:02 EEST 2019

On 22/07/2019 13:32, Timo Sirainen via dovecot wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2019, at 23.14, Dirk Koopman via dovecot
> <dovecot at dovecot.org <mailto:dovecot at dovecot.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Some supplemental information:
>>
>> This is happening on every email delivered into Dovecot via LMTP. The
>> curious things are that the message is a) successfully delivered and
>> b) sieved into the correct directory.
>>
>> Another observation is that:
>>
>> mail_deliver_ctx_get_log_var_expand_table
>>
>> is defined globally in core/src/lib-lda/mail-deliver.c (and used
>> there) but the ONLY external call in the entire dovecot tree is from
>> pigeonhole/src/plugins/lda-sieve/lda-sieve-log.c.
>>
>> I am not using lda but it seems to be part of core. So, as I am only
>> using lmtp, why is pigeonhole using lda-sieve at all?
>
> It's part of lib-lda, which is also used by lmtp.
>
>> Can I work around the error message by some config magic (as I did by
>> calling the correct plugin for imap_sieve) or is this an actual bug?
>> Could this be fixed simply by including mail-deliver.h in
>> lda-sieve-log.c?
>
> I think you're not linking lmtp binary correctly somehow. That symbol
> should be part of it:
>
> % nm /usr/libexec/dovecot/lmtp | grep
> mail_deliver_ctx_get_log_var_expand_table
> 0000000000061960 T mail_deliver_ctx_get_log_var_expand_table

I agree, but I am using the ubuntu packages as provided by yourselves
(not Ubuntu's). I'm guessing this must be some kind of linking/packaging
issue as I have been using your packages for some years now and have not
seen this particular error before. It only started appearing after I
upgraded to 2.3.7 on July 19th.

All my executables in /usr/lib/dovecot/ are stripped so I cannot check
my versions.

Dirk