Outlook renames Junk folder

André Rodier andre at rodier.me
Thu Jun 13 10:31:31 EEST 2019

On Wed, 2019-06-12 at 15:01 -0500, Cliff Hayes via dovecot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some versions of Outlook will randomly rename the Junk folder to Junk Email.
>
> This of course causes errors because Dovecot can no longer store junk.
>
> I go in to Outlook for each user and add another Junk folder, so now
> they have Junk and Junk Email.  This fix action lasts a while until
> Outlook decides to do it again.
>
> Is there a way to tell Dovecot that if the Junk folder doesn't exist,
> try sending the email to Junk Email folder?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hello Cliff,

Outlook is not a software really known to respect other standards than
Microsoft Exchange...

Hopefully, Dovecot can overcome this behaviour, with the mail alias
plugin:

https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/MailboxAlias

Just create an alias 'Junk Email' as 'Junk'.

Have a nice day!

--
André Rodier
HomeBox: https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox