Sieve to strip html from multipart messages

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Thu Jun 13 15:14:23 EEST 2019

On 13 Jun2019, at 05:57, David Pottage via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
> On 2019-06-10 20:39, @lbutlr via dovecot wrote:
>> Is is possible (I’m sure it is, so how) to strip multipart messages
>> that are HTML and text of the HTML portion and leave the bare text
>> message without also stripping other parts (like images or attached
>> files).
>> Or also to take messages that are only HTML and strip the HTML and
>> replace it with a plain text version?
>> I used to do this a long time ago with procmail and lynx, but it was
>> never reliable since procmail doesn’t really understand MIME.
>
> It should be possible by piping the mail through a script, using the sieve-extprogram plugin [1]. You would then need to find or write a script to strip out the HTML. For example if you are fluent in Perl then the Email::MIME module would be a good starting point, or if you used to do it with procmail, perhaps the script you used with it could be adapted to suit.

If it had ever been reliable, I would. I think Mimedefang is probably the way to go now, running vi an extprogram as you suggest.

> If you want to strip html from *ALL* emails, then it would probably make more sense to put the hooks into your MTA config. See this [2[ stack overflow post.

Thank you for the info. Not sure I want to dive back into perl after a pretty happy nearly 20 years of avoidance, but maybe.

I certainly do not want to strip all HTML from all user mail. Really I just want to remove the HTML from the few lists that for reasons I cannot understand, allow HTML to be posted to them.

These damn whippersnappers with their white backgrounds and grey text. Why I oughta…! Get off my lawn!

😃

--
<[TN]FBMachine> I got kicked out of Barnes and Noble once for moving all
the bibles into the fiction section