Dovecot LMTP rejecting mail from address with apostrophe

Michal Krzysztofowicz mike at beautifulocean.org
Tue Jun 18 13:04:11 EEST 2019

> <snip/>
>
> Have you tried setting
>
> auth_username_chars =
> abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@'
>
> Aki

Hi Aki,

I have indeed. I’m still getting the same error in the logs:

Jun 18 09:53:39 mail smtpd[95887]: 88142e1ef398de69 mda delivery evpid=27d472ffef86feb1 from=<first.o’last at example.com> to=<validuser at example.org> rcpt=<validuser at example.org> user=validuser delay=0s result=PermFail stat=Error ("mail.lmtp: LMTP server error: 501 5.5.4 Invalid FROM: Invalid character in localpart”)

I didn’t think that auth_username_chars is used for testing if the sender email address is valid - I thought it was only used for authentication with dovecot.

In addition, I’m not sure that LMTP should even be concerned about any validation of the sender address (and certainly, if it does the validation, it should ensure it allows for all cases conforming to the RFC5321, RFC5322 and generally as described in this Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address).

Thanks a lot for looking into this!

Best Regards,
Mike

--