Help on CRAM-MD5

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Wed Jun 19 01:41:06 EEST 2019

On 18 Jun 2019, at 16:04, Jorge Bastos via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
> I'm using dovecot and mysql users, and i'm creating the password with:
>
> ENCRYPT('some-passwd',CONCAT('$6$', SUBSTRING(SHA(RAND()), -16)))

Why not just use the builtin tool in dovecot?

doveadm pw -s SHA256-CRYPT  -p ‘password[goes]here!’

(or SHA512-CRYPT in your case, I guess).

> So far so good, everything's fine.
> Today saw that i didn't enabled CRAM-MD5

Why would you?

> , but if I do, and the (at least)
> IMAP client (roundcube/thunderbird/etc) issues CRAM-MD5 it doesn't
> authenticate.
> What am i doing wrong, or that can be done so that all types work (SASL
> PLAIN LOGIN + CRAM-MD5)?

What is the reason for wanting to enable CRAM-MD5? That was intended to use on unsecured connections; you should not be allowing authentication on unsecured connections in 2019.

Establish a secure submission on port 587 or smtps on 465 and do not use CRAM-MD5 at all.

--
"Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently
programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest." - Isaac