Dovecot and Solr on the same server or on different

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Fri Jun 21 09:42:21 EEST 2019

> Am 21.06.2019 um 00:13 schrieb @lbutlr via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org>:
>
> On 20 Jun 2019, at 07:45, Götz Reinicke via dovecot <dovecot at dovecot.org> wrote:
>> Yes, we are on VMs. Of course I could extend the resources for the dovecot VM (more CPU, more RAM) but as mentioned having separate VMs/systems is in some situations the preferred way.
>
> Yep, that totally makes sense. I am Old™ and still think of “server” as a physical box sitting in a rack.

For me, it is often a „it depends, if …“. Take my current setup. I want to add Solr to a up-and-running dovecot system. In my VM I would have to add CPU and RAM, which I just can when rebooting the dovecot server. This is a (little) downtime, but is is a downtime.

So adding a Solr VM is currently the better choice regarding the uptime.

Thanks for your feedback and regards . Götz