Submission service and SMTP AUTH capability

Germán Herrera g.herrera at ses.com.ar
Fri Jun 21 17:40:28 EEST 2019

Hi Christian, first of all I appreciate your quick answer.

You are correct, if I "openssl -starttls smtp -connect <host>:<port>" I
notice the AUTH capability is published, so that explains why the
clients that I configure with STARTTLS are able to find out the AUTH
mechanisms and authenticate correctly.

I also found out that the AUTH is shown before entering STARTTLS if I
set "ssl = yes", but the capability is hidden from pre-starttls EHLO if
I do enforce SSL with "ssl = required", which is my server
configuration.

That is an strange behavior for me, but I can deal with it now that I
know how it works.

Thanks for your help, and best regards!!
German