Dovecot/MSQL issue

Nathan dundir at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 09:42:19 EEST 2019

Hello, I'm trying to work through an issue that cropped up on a server I've
been working on and haven't found a very good workaround.

Dovecot is operating in a jailed environment.

The configuration in dovecot-sql.conf.ext has been set appropriately with
the host=127.0.0.1 (which works from a jailed environment) and when dovecot
attempts to auth it appears to perform a reverse dns lookup and overwrites
the host with the result localhost before using the msql credentials
'user'@'localhost'
which then fails after timing out.

I'm currently running version 2.2.33.2 of dovecot.

The workaround seems to be to have two credentials for the same user.
'user@'localhost' and 'user'@'127.0.0.1';
postfix operates in a jail as well and works around the jail issue in the
same way but doesn't overwrite the specified host with a reverse dns lookup.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this issue better? or maybe
there's a way to force different behavior which I haven't yet found in the
documentation?

Any help is much appreciated.

Best Regards.