readonly archive folders using squashfs

Yassine Chaouche a.chaouche at algerian-radio.dz
Sun Mar 10 09:49:06 EET 2019

For every user at domain.tld I created a user at backup.domain.tld where he
could look up deleted messages (archive).

I then made user at backup.domain.tld's cur directory a shared directory to
user at domain.tld but only with read privileges. So, anytime the user
wants to read his old messages, he only needs to read his .archive
folder, which is user at backup.domain.tld's cur. No need to make the
filesystem read-only.

The difficulty is to make sure that every e-mail, sent or received, gets
backed up properly before being deleted. Relying on cron jobs is not an
option since the e-mail can be deleted and expunged before the script
has a chance to get executed and do the backup. So what I did is to
create a hidden sieve filter for every user's **main** mailbox
(user at domain.tld) that automatically creates a copy of every incoming
message to the user at backup.domain.tld mailbox. For outgoing e-mail, one
can do a bcc map in postfix (or the equivalent in other SMTP software)
that ensures that every sent mail is also sent to
user+sent at backup.domain.tld, then you can create a filter in the user's
**backup** mailbox (user at backup.domain.tld) that filters on the
user+sent part of the e-mail and stores every e-mail sent to that e-mail
address to the .Sent directory in the user at backup.domain.tld mailbox.

Finally, the backup.domain.tld doesn't even have to be declared in the
DNS nor in /etc/hosts and can be entirely virtual to the MTA (for ex. in
postfix that would only be added to virtual_mailbox_domains)

Yassine.