Regression ACL & namespace prefix

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 15:39:46 EET 2019

On 3/12/19 10:18 PM, Timo Sirainen via dovecot wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2018, at 17.10, Michal Hlavinka <mhlavink at redhat.com
> <mailto:mhlavink at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Seems that for Global ACL directory, namespace prefix is not part of
>> the path, when looking for acl file.
>
> Is there a reason you're using ACL directory instead of ACL file? I've
> rather been thinking about removing code for ACL directories entirely at
> some point.

The main reason is "if it works, don't touch it". Which includes zero
admin time required, no downtime required and benefit of long time
verified configuration.

We did some tests before updating dovecot in distribution, as users like
to deploy and forget, as any attention required (whatever reason) is
disruptive and takes time that could be used elsewhere.

We found this issue when running regression tests for other components
that use dovecot in their testing environment which means that we would
have to rewrite other tests too. Which is in fact just a reiteration of
the first paragraph.

Cheers,
Michal Hlavinka