regarding ssl certificates

Michael A. Peters mpeters at domblogger.net
Fri Mar 15 09:06:50 EET 2019

With PKIX validation the certificate should match the hostname.

With SMTP, the hostname should match the reverse IP though often it does
not.

Using subdomains gives you flexibility.

with DANE validation, it is DNSSEC that validates the fingerprint to the
hostname so I do not believe there is a need for the hostname in the
cert to match anything, but DANE validation is currently not used by any
mail user agents, only PKIX validation is used by mail user agents.

DANE is used to MTA to MX quite frequently however, so it may come to
mail user agents in the near future (near being within a decade or so).