Sieve matching "size" with user variable?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Mar 19 12:37:39 EET 2019

Hi, I am trying to create a sieve filter which does something similar to
the following:

     if size :over ${extdata.max_size} {

         # do something

     }

This doesn't seem supported in recent dovecot and size only appears to
accept a literal number?

I'm not sure I could extra size into a variable either (to use variable
matching). My understanding of sieve filters is that one needs to use
something like a match, then use something like SET to put the match
into a variable?  This syntax doesn't seem to be compatible with the
size test here either, so I don't see that I can do this?

My goal is that users can set a user configurable setting (in an
external front end) and if the email size is greater than this size then
we will do some processing on it. This particular filter is actually in
a global sieve filter.

I guess I could use an external executable program, but is there another
way to do this?

Thanks for ideas

Ed W