Sieve matching "size" with user variable?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Mar 24 21:32:55 EET 2019

On 19/03/2019 17:19, Ralph Seichter via dovecot wrote:
> * Ed W. via dovecot:
>
>> My goal is that users can set a user configurable setting (in an
>> external front end) and if the email size is greater than this size
>> then we will do some processing on it. This particular filter is
>> actually in a global sieve filter.
> A global script using per-user parameters? Not what I would choose. I
> like to generate sieve scripts for individual users (taking their wishes
> into account of course), because it gives me the ability to perform some
> sanity checks.
>
> -Ralph

How would you generate scripts for some few thousand users? How would
you maintain those thousands of scripts when you make changes to the
template?

However, even then the problem still remains. Now it's a per person
script, but I want the user to have a web front end so they can say if
they want (some mangling) to happen to mails over a certain size? How to
read that size in the filter file and act on it? (no, I do not want my
web front end to be pushing files into the backend of a cluster of mail
server machines)

Thanks for other thoughts (for now I passed the variable to some
external script which does the check there)

Cheers

Ed W